Komodo 12 - Chess Playing Engine Download (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
Incredible! Introducing the all new Komodo 12 (Download)
Windows, Linux, Mac OSX 10.5.8 or higher
Komodo 12 MCTS thinks like no other chess engine in the world. Inspired by the ideas of AlphaZero and Leela, Larry and Mark set out to reinvent Komodo. What they came up with was Komodo 12 MCTS - a engine which searches for candidate moves in an incredible new way, and finds moves no other engine can!
Komodo is a three-time TCEC champion and current World Computer Chess Champion. Komodo 12 is an improved version of the one which won both the 2017 World Computer Chess Championship (despite a 40 to 1 hardware disadvantage vs. its main rival) and the 2017 World Blitz Software Chess Championships. Komodo 12 is an improvement over the version that won the 2017 World Rapid Computer Chess Championship with an incredible 96% score. It also defeated a strong Grandmaster by 3 to 1 despite giving him a two pawn handicap.
Komodo mastermind GM Larry Kaufman introduces Komodo 12
[May 14, 2018] We have just released Komodo 12. It is about 40 Elo stronger than Komodo 11.01 and 85 Elo stronger than Komodo 10 in quick games. Komodo 12 is free for those with active subscriptions. Non-subscribers may order it at full price, or, if they have purchased Komodo 11 or later, at a 20% discount. Komodo 12 comes with an option for Komodo MCTS, a very different engine that we believe is the world's strongest Monte-Carlo chess engine for the PC.
- Chess Assistant
- Shredder (Classic)
Komodo 12 Description
Komodo is three-time TCEC champion, the most prestigious online computer chess event, and has also won several CCT events and several World Championships. Komodo has won a four game match giving various substantial handicaps to World Champion Candidate and then-U.S. Champion Hikaru Nakamura in two-hour games.
Komodo supports Syzygy tablebases and is available for Windows, Linux, Mac and Android.
Komodo 12 Features
- 'Use MCTS' - This "Monte Carlo Tree Search" option plays very different chess than any standard engine, yet at a higher level than any human. It is especially useful when used together with "MultiPV".
- Evaluation developed by a Grandmaster
- Multi-core support (up to 64 cores)
- Syzygy endgame tablebase support
- Fischer Random Chess support
- 'Variety' lets you control how likely Komodo is to make a different move at the same depth in the same position.
- 'Persistent Hash' lets you save Komodo's analysis of a position so you can come back later and resume analysis, saving you time
- 'Dynamism' lets you control how willing Komodo will be to make long-term sacrifices of material or pawn structure for dynamic play.
- 'Progress Threshold' (new) lets you control how quickly Komodo starts to worry about the fifty-move rule.
- 'Skill' (new) this setting allows you to weaken Komodo in 150 Elo increments from Elo 200 up to 2900 (from beginner to World Champion).
Komodo 12 (May 14, 2018) Change log
- Added MCTS option
- Revised time management
- Revised King to Pawn endgame distance term
- Revised extensions
- Revised Ponder
- Revised move-count pruning
Minimum : Pentium III 366 MHz, 1GB ram. Operating system : Windows, Linux, Mac OSX 10.5.8 or higher. (Note: Komodo does not include a 'chessboard'. See Installation instructions here.