The Gruenfeld Defense
- The Gruenfeld Defense (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5) enjoys a special place in the family of Indian openings
- Black fights for control of the center with an early ...d7-d5 thrust, supported only by pieces.
- Black has to know the critical ideas and most promising plans as most lines are pretty sharp and concrete.
- Many top players have tried to refute the Gruenfeld, only to honourably fail and end up defending the opening.
- This DVD presents a complete repertoire, and for each variation the author shows the best or most promising line for an amateur or tournament player.
Many top players have tried to refute the Grunfeld, only to honorably fail and end up defending its charms with remarkable success. The opening is fully covered in 50 sections covering all lines of any importance. Two bonus sections discuss typical endgames - Black usually has equal or superior chances in Grunfeld endings - as well as characteristic middlegame pawn structures.
The DVD presents a complete repertoire, and for each variation the author shows the best or most promising line for an amateur or tournament player. The games database gives the chance to understand more than 8,000 Gruenfeld games played by the best players - 1,300 of them deeply annotated. The majority of the notes are by Krasenkow and Ftacnik who have diligently covered the opening in "ChessBase Magazine" for two decades.
Video running time: 7 hours 21 min.
Lubomir Ftacnik is a Slovak Grandmaster with decades of experience in international chess. As a younger member of a strong chess generation in the former Czechoslovakia he helped to win silver at the Luzern Chess Olympiad in 1982. Most of his fellow Grandmasters have been keen defenders of Gruenfeld Defense and the author has come up with his share of ideas in various lines. The work on the Gruenfeld DVD is the fruit of 30 years experience with this active and rewarding opening.
System requirements: Pentium-Processor at 300 Mhz or higher, 64 MB RAM, Windows XP, Windows Vista, DVD drive, mouse, soundcard.