- Chess Downloads
- The Norwegian Rat - World Champion Magnus Carlsen's Secret Weapon, Vol. 1 (MP4 Download)
The Norwegian Rat - World Champion Magnus Carlsen's Secret Weapon, Vol. 1 (MP4 Download)
The Norwegian Rat
World Champion Magnus Carlsen's Secret Weapon
GM Ron W. Henley
Opening System for Black versus 1.e4 or 1.d4
(Mp4 Format, PC or Mac required to view)
Magnus has played the Norwegian Rat since 2010, but in recent years has scored 4 wins and 1 loss in World Championship Blitz Events, including wins versus Anand and Caruana!
In the last two years, he began employing the Norwegian Rat in his 13 part Chess24.com Banter Blitz series while taunting his opponents “Can anyone equalize against the Rat?” While crushing GMs rated from 2500 to 3200 as well as non-masters, Magnus racked up a stunning 19 wins and 1 loss!
Volume 1 (3 hours 49 min)
1) The h5 Rat Gambit Accepted.
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5 4.Be2 d6! 5.Bxh5 gxh5 6.Qxg5 White wins a pawn, but brings the Queen out early and falls behind in development. Black gains a half-open g file and the Bishop pair!
2) The h5 Rat Gambit Declined: White chases the Black Knight to h5, but does not capture it. Black completes his development and chips away at the White pawn center.
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5 4.Be2 d6! 5.Nf3
3) The h5 Rat Gambit Declined: A Scandinavian with the Knight on h5.
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5 4.Be2 d6! 5.exd6 Qxd6
4) The Knight Exchange Variation.
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5 4.Be2 d6! 5.Nxe4 dxe4