Play the Grunfeld Defense (Download)
The Grunfeld is an exciting and dynamic answer to 1.d4, and has become very popular at all levels of chess. A major reason for this is that it has been a long-time favorite of the World's strongest-ever chess player, Garry Kasparov, who used it many times in his numerous World Championship battles. The Grunfeld very much relies on the principles of the hypermodern school of chess: Black allows White to erect an impressive-looking centre on the assumption that in the long run it could prove to be more of a liability than an asset. Play often becomes very complex and tactical, one of the reasons the Grunfeld appeals to ambitious players.
Despite its attractions, some prospective Grünfeld players are discouraged by the necessity of needing to learn numerous different variations in such a complex opening. In "Play the Grunfeld," however, opening expert Yelena Dembo circumvents this problem by producing a comprehensive and yet workable repertoire for Black, offering a solution against each of White's tries, whether it's a critical main line or a tricky sideline. After reading this book, you will have the required knowledge and confidence to begin playing the Grunfeld in your own games.
* Written by a renowned Grünfeld expert
* Covers all of White's main tries
* Reveals the tactical and positional ideas for both sides
Part One - The Exchange Variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bg7)
1) Introducing 7.Nf3 c5, 2) 7.Nf3 c5 Continued, 3) Be3 Systems, 4) The Fashionable 7.Bc4, 5) White's 7th Move Alternatives, 6) 4.cxd5 Nxd5 without 5.e4
Part Two - 3.Nc3 Without The Exchange
7) The Russian System, 8) Qa4+ Systems, 9) Bf4 Systems, 10) Bg5 Systems, 11) The Solid 4.e3, 12) Offbeat 4th Move Alternatives
Part Three - White Postpones Nc3
13) The Fianchetto System, 14) Angling for a Sämisch: 3.f3, Index of variations
NOTE: This product is a e-book in ChessBase .cbv format. Requires ChessBase 6.0 or higher, Fritz, (any ChessBase engine software) or the free ChessBase Light which can be downloaded at no cost.